Few things are more stressful than experiencing a dental emergency. Far too often, these events happen at the worst possible time: after the dentist’s office hours. My Ashburn Dentist is a team of professionals in Ashburn, Virginia, who understand how upsetting it can be to sustain sudden damage to your teeth or gums. When the unexpected occurs, turn to My Ashburn Dentist to find swift and effective when handling emergency dentistry treatment.
Our dental clinic has the best Emergency Dentist in Ashburn, Virginia.
Emergency Dentistry Frequently Asked Questions
What Constitutes A Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency is any damage to your teeth or gums that requires swift treatment. Some of the more common types of dental emergencies includes:
- Loss of one or more teeth during a sporting activity
- Traumatic injury to the mouth during a car accident
- Falls that damage teeth or gums, such as biking or skateboarding accidents
- A chipped or loose tooth that occurs after biting down on something hard
- Cracked teeth and accompanying pain
- Sudden, sharp, or severe dental pain
You can only save a tooth in a small timeframe, so you must be quick. Any time that you sustain an injury to your teeth or gums call Dr. Rusznak right away.
What Should I Do Immediately After A Dental Emergency?
The answer depends on the circumstances of the injury. If you’ve cracked or broken a tooth while eating, just call the office to set up an urgent care appointment.
If you’ve sustained injury as part of a traumatic event, such as a car accident, severe fall, or sporting injury, the first step is to secure your safety. Assess your immediate surroundings and take action to move out of the way of further damage.
If you’re bleeding, take immediate steps to slow or stop the bleeding. Cold compresses on the exterior of your mouth can help reduce pain and swelling. If there are other people nearby, allow them to help by calling a loved one or seeking an ambulance, if necessary.
Contact Dr. Rusznak’s office as soon as possible to determine the next steps. Emergency dental appointments are available.
How Can I Prevent A Dental Emergency?
As with all injuries, some accidents are just unavoidable. However, in most cases, there are steps that you can take to reduce the risk of a dental emergency, for yourself and your family.
Here are some good practices that can prevent dental emergencies:
- When playing sports, use a properly fitted mouthguard
- Never use your teeth as tools to pry or open containers
- Don’t chew ice, and avoid biting down on hard or very sticky foods
- Seek dental care for decay or advanced gum disease
- Schedule routine exams and seek preventive care
If you or a loved one suffers a dental emergency, try to remain calm and call My Ashburn Dentist to have your injuries treated as quickly as possible